Saturday, June 23, 2012

Frustrations with Perceptions of My Shaved Head

Yesterday I had an appointment with a local surgeon. She was delightful cheery. The appointment actually did not last that long. It went well, but the doctor seemed to want to know more about my personal life just so she could put it into a file just to cite at a later date with the idea in mind, it would make us seem like we have more of a relationship than just doctor/patient relationship. 

I felt frustrated through some of her questions. She actually took the nerve to ask why I actually had my hair cut "so short". Keep in mind, my annoyance stems from the fact she's taking notes on me: my life, my preferences, etc. I guess I find it more normal for people to ask why I shave my head. The doctor using the words "so short" implies that she personally thought my hair was too short. 

Why can people circulate pictures all over Facebook and the web of women/teen/kids with shaved heads due to cancer and claim they're beautiful but since I choose to shave my head, I'm not beautiful? Shaving my head has been such a freeing experience and has opened my eyes to how brainwashed we are as a society to think the closer one emulates Rapunzel, the more beautiful they are. 

I find it refreshing and romantic that my husband loves me with or without hair. He has indeed taken his wedding vows seriously. He loves me no matter what. He loves me through my moods, loves me when I have to wear adult diapers because I can't hold my bladder when I have a cold, he loves me without hair, and he loves me even if I don't make it out of my pajamas by bedtime. I could hope that every woman can find a man like Joe. 

I have shaved my head several times since I began dating Joe. This last time, I said, "I think it's time to shave it again. " His only response was, "Please just don't go pay somebody $15 to do it. I'll do it for you instead." :D His only concern is the financial obligation, which is one reason why he likes me to shave my head. No buying expensive products to manage my hair. 

Anyhow, back to the main subject of a surgery date. It will be August 14th. I wish it were sooner so I can recover and get back to training for my 1/2 marathon, but I'll just have to train really hard leading up to surgery instead. 

 Me with only a few more inches of hair.

Me this morning with a freshly shaved head. I haven't even taken a shower yet and you wouldn't be able to tell!

So, according to my monitor, I'm actually getting visits to this page. If you are visiting, please just leave ONE word in the comment area to describe what you think of this blog thus far. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment