Thursday, June 21, 2012

Medical Update

Whoa! Where has the last 16 days gone?! A lot of it has been waiting for doctor's phone calls and doctor referrals. After I went in for the ultrasound, my doctor finally called me back and said, "Good news! You're intestines aren't spilling out of your hernia, but you do have fat coming through." 


Ummm.. You know, I just lost 45 pounds in the last 8 months and I still have my fat haunting me?! So they were going to refer me to a general surgeon, but I had contacted my OBGYN in the meantime. The good news to that was that I could lift again. Light weights anyways. I have, since having kids, had terrible PMS and a terrible time when my period comes because of my pelvis problems. So after talking to my OB and looking into all our available options, Joe and I determined having a subtotal hysterectomy  would be the route to go. I may be a young 27 years old, but Joe and I had both gotten taken care of so we wouldn't have any more children. 4 is enough to stretch the limits of our sanity, thank you! So I wrote an email to my OB and told him our decision and before I finished I typed in, "Also, is there anything we can do to fix my bladder leaking problem? It would be wonderful to play with my kids and not pee all over myself!" My OB's nurse called back a few days later (my doctor happened to take a 5 day weekend, as it would happen) and said that my OB wanted me to come in. 


Going into this appointment, I thought it would be just a "let's talk about the decision you made and discuss it in detail what it means" and maybe the signing of some forms. So I walk into the room and find myself face to face with a plethora of medical things sitting on the counter, just waiting to be used. 
I panicked, "oh goodness, what the HELL am I doing? WHAT are they going to do to me because I sure as hell didn't shave my legs. Hell, I don't even think I had time to take a shower before I left!"(remember, I have 4 kids age 6 and under) I pulled myself together and asked the nurse, "What is this all for?" She said, "You're doing a bladder test today." 


Oh joy, lets add this to the things I've done in my young 27 years! So after going through the routine with the nurse, I go to the bathroom and empty my bladder as much as I possibly can and of course I took the opportunity to make sure I didn't have any crazy things down there that would alarm the doctor and embarrass the crap out of me. I went back into the room and undressed from the waist down. My doctor comes in with a nurse and tells me what the procedure entails. This is how I went through the humiliation step by step, in the stirrups by the way:


They put a catheter in to fully empty my bladder and my doctor cheerfully exclaims, "Not much in there!" Yep, what can I say? I tried to do the best job I could peeing! lol
Then leaving the catheter in, they filled my bladder up with water and told me to tell them 1) when I first felt that I had something in my bladder and 2)when I felt like I couldn't hold anymore. Now, I don't know about you, but I always feel like my bladder is fine until I get up and try to walk around. So after they had their second cup of water poured into me, I told them I felt like I was fairly full. They took the catheter out, and said "OK, give me 3 good, hard coughs." I obliged and nothing happened. I figured it wouldn't. Next came the most humiliating thing I've had to do in my 27 years. They put one of those paper wraps on the ground and had me stand over it, buck naked from the waist down, bend my knees and have me cough again. I thought, I hope they brought their rain boots... Cough Cough gush


Yep, I could of told them that would happen. Hell, I could of done that on nearly an empty bladder. Yep, I flunked the test with flying colors. But the best news is, they are going to fix my bladder too. 


So after that, I waited a few more days and they called me and said, "We've set your surgery date to July 3rd." I was so excited, that's right around the corner. But I asked them, "That's also to fix the hernia right?" The surgery coordinator was clueless. So they said they had to still refer me to a general surgeon. The surgeon office called me and and gave me a date for July 3rd. Just for the consultation. I begged for a sooner date and they said they had a date in a few days with a different surgeon in their office. So, now my appointment is tomorrow. 


However, last night after waking up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom, I realized I have a bladder infection from the catheter. Yea for me! What a wonderful week: I have a nasty cold, my husband was supposed to be gone one week and turns out he's going to be gone two weeks instead of one, and my over the range microwave that's a year and a half old (and just out of warranty) went out. 


And people actually wonder why I have no hair. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment