Monday, October 8, 2012

The Portland Half Marathon

Yesterday I ran the 2012 Portland Half Marathon. Let me tell you, I surprised even myself! Think back to my earlier posts... I had surgery (4 of them!) eight weeks ago that took the full 6 weeks of recovery. Then I had a week and a half of training completed. I was able to run 4 miles around my house, which I was thinking: if I am running in a flat race maybe I can double my distance and run 8 miles of the race. I know, wishful thinking, right? 

Joe and I got down to Portland area Friday night and we walked up the the Multnomah Falls. It was beautiful since we got there right before sunset. Well, the bad news is I twisted my ankle coming down on the trail. It swelled a teeny bit but not too bad. The photos below are from our little hike.
Arriving at sunset
Multnomah Falls


Wasn't the trail beautiful?!
Joe and I at the top of the falls







So on race day, I am the second to last wave of runners set loose on the course. Of course I make sure I take my plethora of pain killers within an hour before I start. Just seconds after starting the race, I start feeling the pain in my ankle and I thought, "I'm going to be lucky if I can run two miles of this race!" However, I kept plugging along because I am passing people and you never want to stop when you're passing other runners! It's the best feeling of the race!!!

My Portland Marathon Race Bib


So my ankle keeps bothering me. From mile 2-4 it's a gradual uphill and I rock it! Going from mile 4-5 is a gradual downhill and I stop noticing my ankle bothering me. At this point, I'm still blowing by people which is kind of surprising because I wasn't really going that fast. I'm even catching up to the groups that were released before mine! I was feeling really good! The rest of the race from this point on is just flat. However, at mile 5 my knee catches up to me. However, I'm still passing people and I'm actually feeling really good so I'm able to pick up my pace for a few miles. I was able to down one of my cliff bars at this point in hopes I don't get as sick as I did after the Coeur 'd Alene half marathon. 

Starting at around 8 miles, my left quad and hamstring start pulling. It started pulling so hard I had visions of me walking through the finish line with my legs all locked up, so I just kind of put myself on cruise. At mile 10, I felt so committed to my pace I started thinking, "I can run this whole thing!" So I made the decision to keep cruising until I got to mile 12 and then I would try to pick up my pace as much as I could. At mile 12, my iphone goes off telling me my average pace and my overall time. I knew I was so close that I may actually come close to my Coeur 'd Alene half marathon time of 2 hour 2minutes. So for the last 1 point 1 mile, I kick it in with all the extra strength I have, which probably isn't saying a lot as my left quad was so locked up at that point! I rounded the finish line area and was able to give a good kick at the end and I finished with a time of 2 hours and 8 minutes! 6 minutes behind my best half marathon time just 8 weeks after surgery?!? I was blown away with myself! Below is the picture Joe's aunt took of me just before I crossed the finish. 


After finishing, my legs just locked. They pulled me over to the medical tent where I had my first full blown asthma attack. I mean I was sucking for air! I am grateful it only lasted a few minutes. I was able to go on and get my goodies, got my awesome medal. 
Joe and I after we both finished


These photos below are taken at a running store in downtown Portland. I must say, I think if Steve Prefontaine ever saw this, he would roll over in his grave! lol


No comments:

Post a Comment