Saturday, August 31, 2013

Banana Bread Variations

I've been buying bananas lately and my family is letting them go bad on purpose so I have to make banana bread. You'll see in my recipes, we like to use Chia seeds because they're rich in Omega 3 and also because they keep us hydrated (Google that if you don't understand). 
               This is the Banana Cocunut

Here are my recipes:
Banana Bread

Basic Recipe (Betty Crocker)
1 1/4c sugar
1/2c butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2c mashed bananas (3 medium)
1/2c buttermilk*
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2c all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

* I substitute buttermilk with milk mixed with 1 teaspoon white vinegar (if I don't have buttermilk on hand) OR replace with equal parts orange juice.

1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms of 2 loaf pans.

2. Mix all ingredients, mixing in flour last. Beat until smooth. 

3. Divide batter between two pans and bake. 60-75 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

4. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy or wrap up and freeze.

Variations: 
Banana Almond Bread
>this makes a wonderful breakfast. Smear a little PB on the top and serve with yogurt. 
Make as above. At the end of mixing stage add in 
-1 large handful of slivered almonds
-1c chocolate chips
-heaping  1/2 c. Chia seeds

Banana Coconut Bread
>this is great anytime but it makes a great dessert bread. 
Make as above, EXCEPT reduce sugar to 1 cup and use buttermilk for the liquid (you don't want this one drying out!). At the end of mixing stage add in 
- 3/4c shredded coconut 
- 3/4c white chocolate chips
- heaping 1/2c Chia seeds

I hope you enjoy these. My family just devours it!
*also check out the post of Baking Products*

No comments:

Post a Comment