Friday, November 1, 2013

Family Perception

Today I met up with my sister. She has baby number two on the way. We went to a fast food joint to have some lunch. We were quite surprised when we ran into one of our parent's friend, Rick.

I introduced him to Aviana and Rowen and explained that my two older kids were in school. In that instance, it seems time slows down and I can visualize every thought and facial expression that passes his face:
"That's a lot of kids"
"Why so many!?"
"I could never of had that many kids"
"I'm glad I don't have that many grand kids"

Time catches up and he states, "well, your parents sure won the most grand kids contest!"

I just think the perception of my family is hilarious. For example, when I'm out shopping while the older two kids are at school, I have Aviana and Rowen with me. People have stopped me and said, "You have the most perfect family! One boy and one girl!" I reply, "It's even more perfect because they have two big sisters in school." People's expressions go from content to bewilderment to pity in a heartbeat. Suddenly, it seems I sprout horns and they quickly exclaim, "Well, you are a busy lady!" Or "You must've kept going until you got that boy!" Then they rush away feeling sorry for me. 

I come from a family of just my sister and I. My husband was the third (surprise!) child. However, my husband's dad is the oldest out of ten. My mother in law has a sister that had ten children. Our 4 seems comfortable. Not too many at all. However, the way people perceive us is as if we had 20! 

We are so glad we had 4. Not so we could have a boy, but because we felt like that was God's path. Our van is full and so is our hearts. 





No comments:

Post a Comment