Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Learning How to Make Ravioli


A few months ago, I bought a pasta maker at a thrift store for under $10. I was stoked at the idea of making homemade pasta. I honestly didn't care too much about noodles because cost wise (and labor) it didn't seem worth it to make it. However, now that I have the machine, I'm seeing how worth it is! 

When I bought the machine, I wanted to make ravioli. That is worth the time and money saved compared to store bought. However, after looking at a lot of instruction online, I feel there's a few things missing when it comes to making the ravioli. 

I found that making the dough in my stand mixer was easiest. When it's done, I put it in a bread bag to sit for an hour and also when I'm working with the dough (Photo A).

When you are ready to go, I take a fist size amount of dough to work with. Then I take my mesh strainer and sift flour onto my work space and into the ravioli tray. Sprinkle it liberally everywhere. It helps so the ravioli doesn't stick in the tray. When you freeze the ravioli, you can dust off excess flour when they're frozen. 

When I first started making pasta, I thought it was silly that you had to roll through 1-6 to make the pasta. Why couldn't you go to a thin setting and be done? Now I know. It's not just about getting the dough thin, it's about getting the dough to be in a nice rectangle shape and to make sure it's floured thoroughly for the finished product. 

So, roll your dough through each setting, folding the dough into thirds in between each set. This is how it should go through each set: 
1. On setting 1, roll your dough through, after its floured enough so it doesn't feel sticky. 
2. Fold into thirds. (Photo B)
3. Rub your fingers over your work surface with your fingers closed and gather flour in between your digits and rub over each side of the dough so that the dough doesn't feel sticky. (Photo C) 
It should resemble photo D. You just want to rub the flour onto the surface of the dough, not into it.
4. Run it through on setting 1 again, running the dough through the opposite way (on the bias).
5. Complete each setting through 5, keeping the dough floured and rectangle. 


To make the ravioli, I highly recommend using a ravioli tray. I found mine at TJ Max. I use Ravioliera- con mattarello- 26cm. (Photo 1)

1. Sift flour onto the tray (Photo 2)
2. Place your first dough that you pressed on the floured tray (Photo 3)
3. At this point, you do not need to press the dough into the tray. If your dough is a bit narrow in some places, you manually stretch it. Fill each "space" with a heaping half teaspoon of filling. (Photo 4)
4. Run another batch of dough through the machine and place over the filling. (Photo 5) 
5. Lightly sift flour over the top dough. (Photo 6)
6. With a rolling pin, gently roll the dough. Gradually increase pressure (so you don't squirt filling out) until the dough gets cut with the tray ridges. 
7. Extra dough can be cut off and used again- just put it In a bag so it doesn't dry out. 
8. Place freezer paper on a metal cookie pan and either flip the ravioli onto it or dig each one out individually. I use a commercial size cookie sheet because it fits my freezer perfectly. 
9. When you have the sheet filled up, place in the freezer for an hour until frozen. Place ravioli into freezer bags. 

I hope this helps a fellow beginning pasta  maker out. It takes quite a bit of practice, so be patient. To fill up this one cookie sheet takes me about an hour to do solo. 

Good Luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment